Matcha lattes are all the rage these days. And cold pressed coffee but, that’s not exactly an autumnal delight. When the weather turns cold, I need something warm and soothing in a giant mug.
And since I am obsessed with all things green, matcha is right up my street!
Confession time: I don’t possess any of the fancy matcha equipment. No special cup/bowl, no bamboo whisk, nada. The brutal truth is that I shovel the lovely green powder into my Thermomix (any blender will do, really) together with hot water, oat milk, a spice of choice and then give it some. Out comes the frothiest, most delicious match latte imaginable. No fuss, amazing result. Bam.
While pure matcha is great I luuuuurve me a little flavour in mine. Cinnamon is my absolute favourite so I usually chuck in a generous sprinkle before blending.
Like your drink to be creamy and oat milk won’t cut it? Use coconut milk and/or a tablespoon of coconut oil instead! So very rich and more-ish…
The trick is to emulsify the oil by adding it to the hot water-matcha-mix and then blending on high speed for about 60 seconds. No one likes fat globules floating on their tea…
Here’s a few health facts about this beautiful green powder:
- Matcha releases it’s caffeine much more slowly than coffee so you won’t get the dreaded coffee highs and lows.
- It’s made from ground young green tea leaves so you actually consume the whole leaf rather than just the water it was steeped in. Say hello to a mega dose of antioxidants that can protect us against cancer and help us burn fat! Hello!
I say, get guzzling!
- 300ml boiling water
- 100ml oat milk or other plant milk of choice, heated
- 1 teaspoon matcha powder (ceremonial grade is best)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon xylitol (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blitz until frothy!
- Pour into your favourite mug, add another sprinkle of cinnamon and enjoy!